We’re currently hiring for two exciting positions at Laurence King, a Digital Content Creator (maternity cover) and a Designer for Gifts and Children’s Books.
If you see yourself at Laurence King, have a read of the job descriptions below to find out if you’re a good fit! Read details on how to apply at the end of each job description.
Designer for Gifts and Children’s Books
About the opportunity
We are looking for an enthusiastic designer to join our in-house team and work primarily on gifts and games, but also on children’s books. As part of a passionate team, you will be working closely with our editors to bring products to life, with support from our art directors, while still being required to work independently and contribute your own creative ideas.
Your time will be split between working on gifts (which include adult and children’s games, card decks, puzzles and stationery) and some children’s books (illustrated non-fiction for a wide range of ages). You will develop your own design concepts and manage titles through the design process until they go into production, as well as helping to identify illustrators and photographers for new projects. While working on gifts, you’ll also have the fun opportunity to join regular game-testing evenings to help develop our games and test new ones on the market.
· Developing creative design concepts
· Producing high-quality layouts in Adobe InDesign
· Preparing and packaging files for production
· Helping to identify illustrators and photographers for new projects
· Editing artwork in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
· Checking proofs
A proven track record in illustrated publishing, packaging design, product design and working with illustrators would all be considered relevant experience.
· A portfolio showcasing exceptional creative work with outstanding results
· Graphic design qualification, degree or equivalent
· Experience in the design industry
· In-depth working knowledge of Adobe Creative suite
· Awareness of the gift and illustration markets and knowledge of children’s books would be an advantage
How to apply
Application deadline: 03 January 2020
Please send your CV, portfolio (PDF preferred) showcasing examples of relevant work that demonstrate you have the skills required for this position, and a covering letter to email@example.com using the subject line: Designer for Gifts and Children’s Books.
Digital Content Creator (Maternity cover)
8 hours a week (schedule can be flexible)
Additional, ad hoc hours may be required during busy periods
Ability to meet at LKP’s London based office (as and when necessary) required.
About the opportunity
We are looking for an enthusiastic freelance creative to help us produce exciting visuals to showcase the Laurence King Publishing brand online. Working at the heart of our Marketing department, you’ll be in charge of shaping our digital image and creating content for our social media channels, website, newsletters, and other digital channels.
Along with creating promotional visuals for our campaigns, you’ll be photographing our latest Gifts and Children’s products as well as our well-established Trade books. As part of a small passionate team of marketers and publicists, you will be working closely with the Head of Marketing, whilst still being able to work independently and contribute your own ideas. You will also be collaborating with our talented marketing designer.
Art directing visual content creation across Marketing, including but not necessarily limited to:
- Promotional video material
- Visuals on the LKP website
- Selecting and approving all images posted on Instagram (setting the visual tone for all additional social posting)
- Catalogue shoots
- Printed marketing material
- Reviewing and approving all product shots
Photographing lifestyle shots for social media and themed, hero product shots for catalogue/website use
You’ll need a solid experience in photography (including editing and retouching) and design, and a great eye for art direction and new visual trends. Having your own photographic equipment would be ideal. A proven track record in creating marketing assets for publishing companies would be a plus, however, if you feel you could be a good fit then please consider applying.
- Proven track record art directing a wider team
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative suite – Lightroom and Photoshop mostly
- Excellent awareness of latest digital and visual trends
- Great team worker: articulate, literate and confident when presenting ideas and giving feedback
- Pro-active within projects, strong innovative thinking and execution
- Keen eye for detail
- Flexible schedule
How to apply
Application deadline: 12 January 2020.
Please send your CV, portfolio (PDF or URL) showcasing examples of relevant work that demonstrates you have the skills for this position – and a short note introducing yourself and why you think you would be a good fit for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org, using subject line Digital Content Creator.